Sunday, September 6, 2009

fresh breath

Its Labor Day weekend--I remember when all that really meant was that you shouldn't wear white shoes anymore, the pool would close soon, there would be a cook out for dinner and school would start soon. Now--you can do fashion as you see fit, schools start before this weekend, I'm not too sure about the pools...but there are plenty of cookouts happening. I need to find one of those tomorrow.
Yesterday I was invited to a friend's lake house. In the midst of all the busy-ness and time crunching, I thought it would be a good idea to take some time to just be...and I'm so glad I did. It was a BEAUTIFUL day. I sat on the dock and did some homework (c'mon, I can't take the whole day away!) but spent most of the day just admiring the beauty and peace. We went out on the row boat (which had a distinct zig-zag pattern when it was my turn to row!)--a blue sky with some clouds, light breeze, friends, and to top it all off we saw an eagle soaring above. I'm so thankful for the fresh breath again in the midst of what seems close to overwhelming circumstances.
Today in our sunday school class we started a series: What do you know? We'll be looking at passages in the Bible where God says specifically that we are to know something in particular. Today we studied Deuteronomy 8, particularly verse 5. Our big idea for today was: When times are hard, God is at work. Again another reminder that what life looks like right now is all under my Father's control and serves purpose whether I understand it or not.
So, here I am on the verge of another week. I'm so thankful for the fresh breath and reminder for my soul that I am not forgotten and that all this does indeed have a point. Tomorrow morning, should God give me breath, I intend to use it for His intentions. Of course, now that I've said that all of life will be screaming at once, but this too is God's discipline (Deut 8) and building in me endurance (Heb 12:1-17). For now though, I think I'll get ready for bed and get some rest.
God is good...all the time. Breath deep.

No comments:

Post a Comment